Food with Soul
Last updated on February 12, 2021
Nikki’s Place first opened in downtown Orlando in 1999 but originated from a restaurant called Roser’s Restaurant where Nick Aiken, current owner of Nikki’s Place, started working at in 1952 at a young age.
Roser’s Restaurant was owned by Nick’s aunt, Roser Mae Jones and opened in 1949. After receiving his formal food service training at Johnson Junior College, an African American school, Nick’s passion for food and talent for cooking grew. Eventually his passion allowed him to have amazing opportunities serving food for many greats, such as Muhammad Ali, Coretta Scott King, and Elvis Presley.
Now Nikki’s Place is one of downtown Orlando’s most popular spots for soul food. Nick Aiken prides himself on providing an environment filled with great service and great food.
In honor of Black History Month, we are sharing a popular side dish from Nikki’s Place - their incredible southern potato salad.
Nikki’s Place Southern Potato Salad
6 to 8 servings – 6 oz servings
- 4 to 5 Med to Lg – Idaho Potatoes
- 1 piece - Celery (Diced)
- ½ - Green Pepper (Diced)
- ½ - Small Onion. (Diced)
- 1 TBS - Sweet Pickle Relish
- ½ to 1 cup – Dukes Mayo
- 1 TBS – Mustard (French’s)
- 1 to 2 large eggs – Hard Boiled (Grated)
- ½ TBS - Nikki’s Blend Seasoning (substitute: Salt & Pepper)
- 1 TBS – Sugar (Optional) (For the “Best Taste”)
1. Prep potatoes: Peel and dice. Place the diced potatoes in a medium size pot. Fill with water a ½ inch above the potatoes.
2. Prep eggs: Place eggs in pot with potatoes. Add 1 tsp of salt. Bring to boil on MED HEAT. (Check on potatoes and eggs not under cook or over cook)
3. Drain potatoes and eggs, set eggs in room temp water and place potatoes in mixing bowl.
4. Add “The Trinity” (celery, peppers, and onions) to mixing bowl.
5. Peel and grate or chop your eggs, add to mixing bowl.
6. Add ½ TBS of Nikki’s Blend Seasoning to taste. (Substitute is salt & pepper)
7. Fold or “Marry” the ingredients together.
8. Add your sugar, mustard, pickle relish and mayo to the mixing bowl. Mix gently. You have Southern Potato Salad.
For more great dishes, visit Nikki’s Place at 742 Carter St. They currently offering to-go orders and validated parking through our free parking program, ParkDTO.