Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center (formerly Jones High School And Callahan Elementary School)
In 1895, the first school for African Americans was built and became known as the Johnson Academy. It was moved years later and renamed Jones High School. When the high school was relocated again in 1952, the building became Callahan Elementary School until it was renovated and dedicated as the Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center in 1987. With a variety of programs, camps, and activities for all ages, the center is the cornerstone of the Parramore community.
Ebenezer United Methodist Church (now Greater Refuge Memorial Church)
Ebenezer United Methodist church was the first African American Methodist church in Orlando built by African Americans. In 1872, a wooden structure was built on the corner of Church and Terry Streets to house the congregation. In 1927, the congregation built the Gothic-style brick structure. Over the years, structures were added, and it was completed in 1959 with the addition of the basement.
The Hankins Building
Built in 1947, The Hankins Building was a professional building for black doctors and lawyers. Other tenants included a dentist, tailor, beauty salon and the local NAACP chapter. The Hankins Building is the only Art Moderne commercial building in the historic district from the mid 1930s. Though windows and doors have been replaced, the building still retains a high level of historic integrity and contributes to the character of the historic district.
Holden Street Elementary School
The Holden Street Elementary School was built in 1935 and was the first school for Orlando’s African American students in grades 1–4. The building shown was constructed in 1950 and closed in 1971. The building served as administrative offices for the Lynx transportation system, and the site is now the headquarters of the Orlando Police Department.
The Woodford James Maxey House was built around 1924 by local contractor Jim Murrell. It is a frame vernacular residence that features Craftsman elements. The house reflects the development and evolution of the local African-American community, not only because of its architectural merit, but also the owner’s achievements and success despite the discriminatory conditions of the time.
Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church
Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church was constructed in the early 1920s with concrete blocks. Members of the church, who were skilled craftsmen, handmade the blocks to look like stone. In 1980, the congregation moved to its present location at Burton Boulevard and Price Hall Boulevard.
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Institutional Church
Organized by Reverend C.J. Scott in 1880, the Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church was the first black church in Orlando. The congregation met in four different structures over the years until the current red brick Classical Revival church was built in 1956.
This two-story late Victorian commercial structure has been used as a bakery, dry goods store, drug store, and tailor shop. It was built in 1911 for J. E. Nicholson, a baker from Canada, and J. A. Colyer, the only black landowner in downtown Orlando at that time.
Named for the clear, narrow path between the front and back doors, shotgun houses were one of the most popular styles of houses built in the Southern U.S. between the 1860s and 1920s. The Holden-Parramore Historic District was notable for its large number of them, though only a few remain in the area today.
South Street Casino
Dr. Wells also built the South Street Casino, a music and dance club that was located next to the hotel. It set the beat for the neighborhood with a large stage for musicians, performers, and famous entertainers. Its immense dance floor could accommodate around 200 people.
Tinker Field History Plaza
The original field and buildings at Tinker Field were dedicated in 1923. Named for Joe Tinker, many other Baseball Hall of Famers played here, including Jackie Robinson, Rod Carew, Bert Blyleven, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, and Harmon Killebrew. The pitcher’s mound was where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his only speech in Central Florida, “Integration Now,” less than a month before his death in 1964. In 2015, the historic baseball diamond and field were landmarked by the Orlando City Council.
In 1926, Dr. Wells constructed a hotel that provided lodging to African Americans during segregation when hotel rooms were not available to them in other areas. Famous guests include Jackie Robinson, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, and Justice Thurgood Marshall. The Wells’Built Museum of African American History is now located here, featuring memorabilia, artifacts, and a guest room with authentic furnishings of the 1930s. The building was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2000.