Cheers to 100 Years!

Last updated on September 01, 2022

October 2022 marks 100 years since Callahan opened its doors as Jones High School in 1922. The building was turned into an elementary school once Jones H.S. moved into its current location on Rio Grande Road in 1952. Named after the black physician Dr. J.B. Callahan, Callahan Elementary closed during desegregation in 1970. 

In 1976, Callahan residents and Callahan Neighborhood Association leaders began efforts to finance renovations and save the community landmark, but time and lack of maintenance made it difficult. When the city stepped in to turn the site into a neighborhood center, it was too expensive to renovate. The decision was made to keep only the existing façade as a tribute to the original Jones H.S. and Callahan Elementary. The center opened in May 1986. 

For decades, Callahan has been an integral part of the growth and well-being of Parramore youth. Today, we’re proud to continue to use this facility as it was from the start: a place of learning.  

Click here to learn more about the youth and family programs the center has to offer.  


Tagged as: