Orlando Public Library
About This Location
The Orlando Public Library is the headquarters and resource center for the Orange County Library System. The 290,000 square foot Downtown Orlando facility is one of the largest public library buildings in the State of Florida. The Library has been located at this site since its beginnings as the Albertson Public Library in 1923. Public Reference Departments in the Orlando Public Library include Children’s, Genealogy, Library Central and Reference Central. The Children’s Library offers spacious areas, special programs, computers and story rooms for our youngest readers and readers to be. A Technology and Education Center is located on the second floor and offers access to computers loaded with programs with word processing capabilities. The Friends of the Library Third Floor Bookstore is open daily and recycles withdrawn and donated books to the community. The Genealogy collection is one of the best in the Southeast and is a great place to begin research into family history.
The new Dorothy Lumley Melrose Center for Technology, Innovation & Creativity opened in February. The center features audio and video studios complete with editing capabilities. There is also a photo studio. There is a fab lab with 3D printers as well. A simulation lab is outfitted with flight and driving simulators plus construction simulators that allow workers to gain skills in the building trades. At the heart of it all is an interactive media display wall. The center offers monthlyTech Talks in Tech Central, its cutting-edge presentation space. Classes are also offered regularly on the latest technologies such as game design and coding. For presentations and networking events, there’s a conference room for groups of up to 30 with web-conferencing.